This Patagonia Micro D Fleece Hoody was the very last one of this model I could find. It was out of production when I bought it but I managed to find a leftover somewhere. So, getting this is probably not going to be possible. But there’s a new redesign of the hoody.
I’ve had this since I started traveling in 2013. When I traveled Africa this was the only piece of warm clothes I had. It’s been the only sweatshirt I’ve traveled with. That means I’ve used it quite a lot because it was all I had.
Even after 4 years it looks just like new. It doesn’t look worn, there are no loose threads, no holes, nothing!
It’s very light, but since it’s a fleece it doesn’t pack as well as down. But I like it because it feels soft, comfy and nice. It’s very lightweight but still provides decent warmth. Combine this with something windproof and it can go a long way. Especially if you add a base layer. However, without anything against the wind this will do little to nothing if it’s cold and windy. (Just like with any other fleece.) But it’s an excellent piece in a proper technical layering system.
The durability is simply incredible and it wasn’t until now while writing this I realized how crazy that actually is. 4 years old and it looks brand new!
- Ultra lightweight.
- Extremely durable. (Just don’t lit it afire, it won’t like it.)
- Comfy, nice, soft.
- Has a hoody. (I’m a hoody person so that’s a huge pro for me, I know that might be a con for others. But they have a non-hoody version as well.)
- Warm when wet. (Unlike down.)
- Dries extremely fast.
- Needs to be combined with a wind proof shell. (That can also be seen as a pro if you want to layer your clothes for maximum flexibility. Also, this is not specifically with this fleece, that’s the same for any fleece, unless a windproof layer has been added to it.)
- Very sensitive to fire. (Same for any other fleece.)
- Bulky. (Same for any other fleece)
Rating 9/10. I love it and it’s been my warm friend for a long time. The only thing I’d like to change is the hoody. I prefer when it’s bigger and more spacious.
The Patagonia Micro D Fleece Hoody can be a bit difficult to find. But try the links below.